"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." Aristotle

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Decline Of Support


Just some food for thought.....

I was watching a movie earlier about WW2, {I have always been fascinated by this era, since my family comes from Germany}and it led my brain down many, many paths....
I am going to try my damnest to stick to one thought pattern though... (we all know how sidetracked I can get)

My question is this:

When did the American people (as a whole) start losing interest in supporting their troops while at war?

I have done no research on the subject, which I am sure that will change soon, because this question has been bouncing around in my head for an hour or so now....

What led to the decline of support?

During the World Wars, EVERYONE did their part in supporting the war efforts, whether it meant rationing their food, sending extra blankets, food packages, rolling bandages, war bonds, etc....

When did this all change? Is it the fact that the Korean, Vietnam, Gulf Wars( including past and present in this, both regions we are in) are not World Wars? If this is this case, wouldn't it make more sense that we pull together even more so? Since it is more of OUR troops there???
They still need our love and support, no matter if we agree to why they are there.... I know there are a few organizations out there, that do things for the soldiers, and I appreciate that very much so...

But, what do we do? As normal, everyday citizens? What do we do??

Yes, I know some of you offer up your prayers, etc....but what tangible effort do you make? Are you cutting back on your intake of gas? Your intake of food? How are you supporting the families? Where is that sense of support that every town had? The flags hanging, the benefits for the war effort? What changed along the way?

Just some food for thought....

As you are spending this season with your loved one's, in a warm, safe, cozy place, remember our troops that are currently serving in the conflicts, who aren't home, surrounded by their loved one's. Remember their families who are without their loved one......

Remember the sacrifices made in the past, so that you are able to spend these holidays, free.
With these words I leave you....

"... any citizen should be willing to give all that he has to give his country in work or sacrifice in times of crisis." Eleanor Roosevelt

0 comments: